top of page
cobalt carbon free logo


Damp is one of the most annoying problems around the home and sometimes one of  the most difficult to understand and eradicate . Without proper diagnosis and the right damp proofing treatment, this can cause a lot of family anxiety as well as create long term, irreparable, structural damage to affected areas. It can be costly to cure, and become a serious risk to health.

At Cobalt Carbon Free, we have over 30 years’ experience diagnosing and treating damp problems. It is our job to provide a professional damp proofing and weather proofing service to eradicate your damp problems in a holistic way.

'A one stop solution to solving your damp problems'


The first step is identifying and understanding the damp in your home.

Wet Cat
There are three main types of damp problem, click on each to explore them further:
Or continuing reading for general information on causes and risks of damp

Causes of damp and mould

Excess moisture causes damp and mould.


Different types of damp are caused by different problems and have different symptoms.


The easiest way to determine the kind of damp you’re dealing with is by visiting our Rising DampPenetrating Damp and Condensation pages. These pages are full of information on the causes, symptoms and treatment of specific damp problems.

As many as 1 in 5 British homes suffer from mould. Things like drying clothes inside will increase moisture encouraging damp, mould and condensation.


Also not keeping your house well ventilated may create damp and mould problems. 

What damage can damp and mould cause?

Depending on the severity, damp can lead to structural damage to buildings. Damp and mould can also damage wallpaper, paintwork, furnishings and have severe health risks.

Mould can be particularly unsightly and when visible, it appears as marks on walls, skirting boards, window frames and other susceptible surfaces - reducing the aesthetic appeal of your home.

Mould can destroy the surface it lives on by digesting it, so should be treated as soon as possible to avoid damage.


Removing mould can be difficult and unless you get to the root cause, it’s likely to return.

What are the health risks?

Moisture is the prime breeding ground for nasty bacteria.


According to the NHS, moulds produce substances that can cause allergic reactions, irritants and toxic substances.


Inhaling or touching mould may cause an allergic reaction, such as blocked nose, sneezing, red eyes and inflamed skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks and lead to breathing difficulties.

If your home is damp you’re more likely to suffer with respiratory problems, infections, allergies or asthma.


Damp and mould can also affect the immune system and should be avoided by babies and children, elderly people and those with existing skin or respiratory problems.

How can we help?

You can take some preventative measures yourself to make your home DampSmart. For example, by not drying your clothes inside, keeping your home well ventilated, repairing leaks as and when they occur, and using fans in bathrooms and kitchens. 

However, if you’ve identified the problem then the best thing to do is contact us today and speak to one of our advisors. We will then arrange an appointment with one of our expert damp proofing surveyors. We will get to the root cause of your problem and tell you the best way to treat and cure the issue. We often have customers come to us with damp enquiries but soon realise their property needs wall insulation. 


We offer a range of solutions including:

  • Ventilation Systems

  • Damp Proofing injection treatments

  • You can prevent damp problems by insulating your home - we talk about this more in our Heat Smart section

bottom of page